Friday, August 3, 2007

Talents Part 2: Holy


The holy tree, the tree that defines my character. As you can probably guess, this is where the priest class gets most of the upgrades to healing. Unfortunately, this tree has many problems, being the 11,21,31, and 41 talent points. I have not taken any of the talented abilities in this tree, as I feel they are rather lackluster considering how many other talents you can get. Well, lets get to it!


2/2 Healing Focus - Healing focus is a necessity for almost any priest except pure shadow. For only 2 talent points you get 70% chance to resist losing cast time if you get hit. As we all have experienced in game, if a heal is a few seconds off, it can mean the difference between a trip back to the spirit healer or getting your loot.


3/3 Improved Renew - Since I use renew as one of my main heals in every group I am in, it just makes sense to make it heal my target better. When your renews start ticking for around 750-800 per tick, it makes it so easy to keep a whole group healed with ease, while your focusing your bigger heals on the tank.


4/5 Holy Specialization - Critting on a heal is one of the best things to happen for a priest. It helps you conserve mana because the target just got extra health for free, and combined with Inspiration, it makes your tanks seem invincible for 15 seconds.


5/5 Divine Fury - Remember how I said about making sure your heals get off at the right time? Well I think a 2.5 second heal instead of a 3 second heal will help with this. This talent is of course a no brainer and is a must in any healers arsenal.


3/3 Inspiration - This talent is amazing when your tank has great gear. Whenever I crit on a heal this talent increases their armor by 25%. This talent has saved me a number of times. If it procs at the right time, it ends up saving me a few moments for my next heal on the target, in which they usually will be not taking as much damage. Of course armor does nothing to prevent damage from spells, but, it still is beneficial nonetheless.


3/3 Improved Healing - If you made it this far in the holy tree, no reason to not pick up this talent. It is probably one of the best healing talents in the tree, giving your heals an extra little bump for free. Must have talent!


5/5 Spiritual Guidance - If your healing as a priest, spirit should be a stat that you stack, and if your following my build, stacking this with the improved divine spirit buff, give you even more +healing (yes they do stack together). Another must have.


5/5 Spiritual Healing - Yes you guessed it another must have, if your healing this is needed again.


3/3 Holy Concentration - This is a talent I picked up recently. At first I was like 6% pfft who would care how often would you see that? Well maybe Blizzard put it at like 20%, because it seems to proc all the time for me. This talent should be a necessity as well, because it really saves your mana, and I have had it proc a few times on 2 or 3 heals in a row, thus keeping me healing even if I was out of mana. I believe even with casting heals with this, it does not use the 5 second rule, thus you will be regenerating mana the whole time. I love this talent, one of the best talents blizzard put in the tree.


Now I know it seems like I went through the holy talents very quickly, but unlike discipline, the reasons I chose them are very obvious. I still want to try Empowered healing a bit, to see if that few percent extra is a lot, but I believe the extra mana I am getting in discipline is too good to give up for just maybe 100-200 extra health on my greater heals. What have your experiences been? Have I just been getting lucky on Holy Concentration procs? Or does it really proc that often?


I really do want to try circle of healing again but I cannot bring myself to do it. I know that in certain circumstance its great, but I haven't found those yet that a well timed prayer of healing can't fix. With the new change to lightwell (lolwell), I want to try how much it will heal for with my +healing, but I don't know if giving up 2% of my mana for lightwell is worth it. If anyone can let me know how the new lightwell is with the +healing (along with how much +healing you currently had), please let me know.

3 comments:

Jabari said...

Yup, looks good.

The only thing I really question is not having Improved Death ... er, Spirit of Redemption. Not for the "death" part (sometimes useful), but +5% spirit for a single talent point is decent. About 25 spirit raid-buffed? The way you're set up, steal a point from Holy Spec I guess.

One trick to remember with the clearcast - Inner Focus ALSO takes you out of the 5-second rule. When you proc a clearcast, you cast your max-rank GH, then immediately hit IF - your next (IF-ed) spell won't take you out of the 5SR either. You're out of the 5SR the _entire_ time, until the 3rd spell, with full spirit regen going. Quite nice!

(And for me, Surge of Light will also do the same as soon as they fix the bugs - instant Smites on top of all of that, also outside 5SR!)

I still like 5 more points here instead of Mental Strength ;) Fill out HolySpec, SoR, and 3 in Empowered.

Mike

Kirk said...

When I specced healpriest, I was one of those odd ducks that used lightwell. Taken the first time on a dare, it just turned out to be darn useful.

While running with PUGs, it made a fast lesson as to whether I'm running with a good or bad group. Good groups listened and heeded: "LW is for non-melee. If you're melee you'll get to play with the frisbee."

I've a few other things I'd do different - but wouldn't hesitate to take your options if a raid/guild insisted. Nice, and better yet nice justifications.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a nice spec - my priest is hovering near level 19 atm :)

samownall wow blog